Every year, we get questions about creating Industry Awards applications. What should I include? What should my application look like? What did the winners’ applications include last year?
Below are our top tips for entering the Industry Awards. The entry requirements are a bit different, depending on what award you enter, so we’ve divided this post up into tips for the Training Awards and tips for the Business Awards.
HITO Training Awards
Entering the Training Awards might seem like a big deal, but there really are just a few key things you need to remember. Below are our tips on what your entry should look like, what you should include, and advice from past winners and judges.
- Entry style. We know you’re a bunch of creative, innovative people, and you probably want your entries to reflect that. We want to see your creativity too, but keep in mind that you need to post in your entry, and the judges need to look at it to judge it. Stick to A3 and A4 sizes, and booklets are always best – they’re easy to post and easy to judge.
- Answer the questions. It sounds silly, but when you’re writing your entry, remember to answer the questions! Each entry form has a series of questions you need to answer and information you need to include. You don’t need to include heaps of information, either: keep it short and sweet, and really think about what’s important to include. If you’re including other information, like photos or print-outs from your booking system, remember to tell the judges why they’re important.
- Think about HITO. This was something the judges brought up several times last year. You’re all HITO trainees, trainers, tutors, or employers, and these are the HITO Training Awards. Make sure you talk about what’s relevant to your training with HITO, or how you help HITO trainees, as part of your application.
- Take your time. Some of the most common advice from our past winners is to prepare and put a lot of effort into your application. Entries aren’t due until August 26, so start thinking about what you want to say now. Collect any relevant information throughout the year so you don’t have to rush at the last minute. Take advantage of every opportunity you get – it could be the opportunity that helps you win an award!
- Be open and honest. Our 2015 winners and finalists were unanimous: whatever you do, be honest in your application. Put your heart into it, and openly share your experiences. It helps the judges get to know you and shows your good qualities.
- Think broadly. Don’t just focus on one aspect of your dedication and commitment. You might be a competitions superstar, but the judges want to know where else you’ve shown excellence. You might be 100% dedicated to your students, but are there other areas where you’ve supported training success?
The quality of applications is always incredibly high, and the judges have a difficult time selecting our winners. We can’t wait to receive another round of fantastic entries this year.
Kitomba NZARH Business Awards
Awards don’t just belong to movie stars! Putting your salon forward for recognition is a great way to improve your business, your reputation, and next year’s results. Entries for the 2016 Kitomba NZARH Business Awards are now open and we’d love to see your entry.
It can be a little bit daunting entering the Awards for the first time, but there’s no need to worry. Here’s a list of our top tips that’ll help you put together a winning entry:
- Results, results! Judges want to see how your initiatives have performed, not just what they were. Find a way to weave your results through all parts of your entry. Think costs and return on investment. Let the figures communicate the great job done!
- Use your creativity. You know your brand better than anyone, and it’s great when an entry form really gives the judges a sense of what you’re all about. But make sure it’s within the guidelines (check out the entry form for more details).
- Keep it brief. Use simple language to tell your story and remove unnecessary words – the judges will really appreciate this. Focus on the the things that you know matter so you stay on point and don’t drift into providing information that’s unnecessary or a response that sounds great, but doesn’t answer what is being asked.
- Use testimonials to back up what you’re saying. This is about your whole business, not just your service, so be creative. As well as customers, ask your suppliers and business partners to support you by sharing their stories about how your business has made a difference to them.
- Finally, don’t forget to proofread. Give yourself plenty of time (the deadline is August 31st) to have someone review and proofread your entry. It’s the little things that count.
Don’t forget to pat yourself on the back for all the hard work you’ve done leading up to submitting your entry – it’s something to be proud of. We look forward to seeing your entry. Good luck!
The Industry Awards celebrate the best in barbering, beauty, and hairdressing. The awards evening is a fantastic night of fabulous entertainment, delicious food, and exciting celebrations.
We’re excited to announce that this year’s Industry Awards are at the glamorous Langham Hotel in Auckland. The awards evening will take place in the chandelier-clad events center. Located in central Auckland, the venue is close to restaurants, shops, and transport, and provides plenty of accommodation for Industry Awards guests.
You can find out more about the Langham here.
The awards evening is on Sunday 13 November. We’ll let you know when tickets are available to purchase.
We’ll also have more exciting announcements on entertainment and hosts coming soon. Make sure to keep an eye out here and like us on Facebook to keep up-to-date with the latest news.
We can’t wait to celebrate with you.